November Region 1 Roundup
Region 1 Roundup
by Lisa Maxwell
News from National:
It's not too soon to start planning for the 2017 Annual Gathering (AG), being held in Hollywood, Florida, July 5-9, 2017. Mensa's room block at the Diplomat Resort opens Nov. 1, 2016.
Room Rates: $149 S/D; $164 T; $179 Q. Registration for members is $224 through Jan 31st 2017.
The 2017 Colloquium - The Health Care of Catastrophes: Innovation Drive by Disaster, will be held on Wednesday July 5th. Registration is only $99 for members. For more information on the AG or Colloquium, go to http://ag.us.mensa.org/.
Mini Minutes from the AMC (American Mensa Committee, the national board of directors) meeting held on September 17 2016:
(http://www.us.mensa.org/lead/amc/meeting-reports/ select meeting: 2016-09-17 - Arlington TX, click on 'Mini Minutes')
The following presentations/reports were presented to the AMC:
The Treasurer’s Report, Executive Director’s Report, including an update on the AMS (Association Management System) implementation, HiQORA update, and a discussion on dues increases: Options and Timing.
The AMC acted on the following motions:
• A motion to continue sponsorship of HiQORA through PSCL failed (in Executive Session).
• A motion for AML to explore a licensing relationship with PSCL for HiQORA passed (in Executive Session).
• Tabled motions amending an ASIE dealing with Local Group Web Sites and regarding Digital Media.
• Passed a motion to establish a Hearings and Dispute Resolution Processes Review ad hoc Committee to review current AML hearings, disciplinary, and dispute resolution processes with the intent to reorganize and condense the information and to make recommendations as appropriate for changes to the processes.
• Passed a motion to place the selection of the Mind Games® location under the authority of Site Selection.
• Passed a motion referring a proposed bylaws amendment to referendum of the membership.
• Passed a motion creating a national Awards Review Task Force to look at all national awards and determine the best course of action for the future. HAYNES was appointed as Chair of the Task Force.
• A motion to amend ASIEs Appendix 4 to read regarding the Acknowledgement of Responsibilities for Board Members failed (upon reconsideration).
• A motion to amend Clarification 5D of the Minimum Standard Bylaws was referred to the Bylaws Committee.
The next AMC meeting will be held on December 10, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Around the Region:
• Rhode Island Mensa attended the Providence Roller Derby Championship Bout.
• Southern CT Mensa's Monthly Dinner included a talk about the Burning Man festival.
• Many of our region's groups host regular trivia night events - check your newsletter for details.
Don't see an event of interest on your local group's calendar? Consider hosting!
Just a reminder… Upcoming Region 1 events:
New Hampshire RG February 17-19, 2017 - Around the World (and back to the End of the Universe)
Best Western Hotel and Suites, Portsmouth, NH. For information: http://www.nh.us.mensa.org/rg2017.shtm
Did you know…?
Several chapters have openings for volunteers to act as Proctors, Gifted Youth Coordinators, Event Hosts and more. Interested in getting more involved? Reach out to your local group leaders to learn more.
This month's question for you… what should your elected AMC representatives do to improve your Mensa experience?
Previous Page | Next Page